Near the Confederation Hall Monument is the ramshackle Grace’s Castle, originally built in 1210, but lost to the family and converted into a prison in 1568, and then in 1794 into a courthouse, which it remains today. Rebels from the 1798 Rising were executed here. (Source: Lonely Planet Guide)
The courthouse is in the historical centre of the town. It was originally built over, and incorporated the remains of, a sixteenth century castle and an eighteenth century Gaol. It was converted to a courthouse in c.1792 and remodelled in c.1828 and extended to the rear in c.1870.